🌳Tree Book 📖

• Hello everyone and welcome back to another post! Today I’m going to be talking about how we made our ✨Tree Books,✨ so let’s get to it!

We began working on this book on the week of March 15th, and ended the week of May 15th. We worked with the artist Peg Gignoux, and she was a big help! Now I’m going to list what we did in order, and describe them in more detail after. We started with:

• Screen Printing
  • Paper folding
  • Akua Ink
  • Collage
  • Pockets
  • Salute to My Roots
  • Life List
  • When This Is Over
  • My Wish
  • The book Wishtree by Katherine Applegate
  • Frank Gallery
  • Who I shared my book with

Here is Peg’s Website:

Click here to view

Screen Printing

How we did screen printing was we had a stencil of words from when we wrote a descriptive sentence from a tree. Then we added paint to a tray and rubbed it on the stencil from a roller and ta da! On our outlined boards for our trees were the screen printed words from the stencils!

Paper Folding

Next we folded a large piece of paper hot dog 🌭 and hamburger style! 🍔

Akua ink

The way we did Akua ink is we had these leaves that we took from outside, and we placed them on top of a piece of paper. Then we added ink to our paper and rolled it on top of our leaf and paper and then it makes a nice printed painting that should look something like this:

Collage

The next step was to make a collage on top of your Tree Book structure. We did this by taking our Akua ink paintings, cutting them out, and making them into cool shapes and whatnot and gluing them to the book. This was a pretty fun step to do. It did take me a while to find a good place to put things, like for the ground we cut long strips of the Akua ink paintings and glued them to the bottom of the structure. I also found some cute animals from an old dictionary and glued them on to my tree.  🦏

Pockets

After that, we made little pockets that we could put on the front or inside our Tree Book. I decided to put my pockets. There were 3 that I put on the inside of the book. We glued the Akua ink to the showing parts of the pocket and inside, we put our Salute to My Roots inside of it. Let’s talk about the Salute To My Roots next. 🎒

Salute to my Roots!

Salute to My Roots is where we wrote about the people in our family and why they mean so much to us. I put four family members into my Salute to My Roots writing project. As I said earlier, these went into our pockets in our Tree Book.  📙

Life List

The life list was probably my favorite part of the entire thing! In the life list, we wrote things we wanted to do or have in the future. Some of mine were to get a minivan and travel the U.S. Another was to get a bunny, cat, and Highland cow. I think that this was a great experience to see all the things in life that we haven’t done yet, and how there is so much more that life could bring to us in the future. 📝

When This Is Over

When This Is Over is a poem that we wrote for when Coronavirus would end, what we would never take for granted and wrote about what we hope to have found after it. 🧤

My Wish

My Wish was inspired for me from the book called Wishtree. We wrote down our wishes or wrote them on our Tree Book itself. I wrote my few wishes on a piece of paper, then cut a hole and attached a ribbon to it. The ribbon helped it stay on my Tree Book, where it hangs on one of the branches on the top. 💗

The book Wishtree by Katherine Applegate

This book Wishtree is one that we are reading in class right now. It is based on a story with a girl named Samar. Her wish was to get a friend. The Wishtree, Red and her best friend, Bongo the crow, are determined to make Stephen her friend. Through all the hate and discrimination that Samar and her family have been getting, this might be their only hope, before Red might be gone forever. 😟

Frank Gallery

After we had finished our Tree Books, we got them displayed in Frank Gallery. The whole grade was invited to see everyone’s Tree book when it was done and I actually had not realized how many there actually were. I thought it was a cool experience, seeing your art on display. No, it’s not for sale. Sorry! 🙃

Who I shared the book with

I shared my book with my Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, and younger sister. Here is a picture of them:

I’m the one with the purple glasses and blue sweatshirt, my sister is the one with the little backpack, my dad is the one also with a blue shirt with black glasses, my Grandma is standing next to me, my grandpa has a train conductor hat, and my mom is the one with a blue mask. That should describe them pretty well.  🙂

Thank you all for taking time to read this! This blog post took a lot of time and effort to make, so I appreciate you reading it. Bye for now!

– ♡𝒮𝒶𝓂𝒾𝓎𝒶♡ –